Where all things science and middle school are fair game.

Where all things science and middle school are fair game.

Monday, July 12, 2010

I've got to start somewhere, right?

So, I've been teaching middle school science for 9 years (gasp!) and have been thinking about blogging about it for several of those. But, there was always something else to do (hello, grading papers and internet shopping!) and I really just thought it would take up too much time that I already didn't have. So, now that it is summer and my stint of summer school is nearing an end, I figured this was a perfect time to get started...without all of those excuses.

I don't know right now what this blog will become (if anything) but I hope that it is a way for me to continue to challenge myself as a professional - as a teacher who obviously wants to work with students as they experiment and explore all that is science, but also as a teacher who wants her students to grow as people. My goal for this next year is to incorporate more useful technology into my lessons - not just technology for technology sake, but using technology to actually increase student understanding. We'll see how that goes.

Not sure if anyone else but me will ever read this...but if you are - feel free to jump in and add your own experiences, ideas for lessons/technology, etc - I'd love a friend or 2 in bloggerland.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Kristen,

    All of the supplies can be purchased at any hydroponic store. I just used some insulation board cut to float on top of the water. The little "baskets" hold clay pellets that surround a square of rock wool. I picked lettuce and string beans this year because they germinate fairly easy. The kids thought it was pretty cool. Lead into it with this video: http://vimeo.com/6281618 Good luck...it's a great way to introduce the nitrogen cycle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh...and be sure to turn on your "comment moderation" for your blog. ;-)

    ReplyDelete